What are they?
SF conventions are gatherings of fans of the Science Fiction & Fantasy genre. SF conventions were traditionally focused on the written word and associated fan culture. Now a lot of conventions include films, comics, television, gaming, costuming etc. SF as a genre is often difficult to define as it contains many themes and sub-genres. At lot of you may be familiar with some of the recent popular media such as the film “Arrival” (based on Ted Chiang‘s novella “A Story of your Life”) or fantasy series such as “Game of Thrones” (based on George R.R. Martin’s series “A Song of Ice and Fire”). SF conventions can be one day events or last for 5 days.
Animie conventions provide a place for fans of Japanese Animation (hence the term) to gather. These conventions also include events on other aspects of Japanese culture such as manga, and the activities include panels, discussions, contests, artwork, drawing, music, video games etc. Cosplay is mix between costuming and play (hence the term) and can be part of a competition or more ad-hoc.
Here are a selection of upcoming (from December to May 2017) SF and Anime conventions using our event planning software:
- Ichibancon: is a 4 day anime convention which will take place in the area of Charlotte, North Carolina. This is where you’ll have the chance to attend many panels, discussions, but you could also be part of the game in an arcade room, do some cosplay or even karaoke!
- Boskone 54: This convention gathers thousands of SF and fantasy fans in New England from the 17th to the 19th February 2017. This is the right event if you are looking for panels, workshops and talks focusing on gaming, music, art and literature from many styles: hard SF, urban fantasy, science, anime, new media, comics, horror… This is a good immersive experience in the world of imagination!
- Ohayocon 17: “Ohayou”* from the Ohayocon 2017 convention! It will take place in Columbus, Ohio, from January 13th to January 15th, 2017! This is a great anime convention where you’ll be able to attend anime music and costume contests, but also talks and panels, table-top games… *Good morning in Japanese
- Eastercon 2017: This is the 68th “British National Science Fiction Convention”! Book April 14th to April 17th 2017 to attend the Easter SF convention held since 1955 and which will take place in Birmingham, Uk! During this 100% volunteer-run event, you’ll have the ability to attend many kinds of specific events such as short-story competitions, lectures, science fiction demonstrations and multiple art shows.
- Ice and Fire Con 2017 is a convention for fans of “Game of Thrones”. It is focused on “A Song of Ice and Fire”, an epic fantasy series of novels and its author George R. R. Martin. This fan-run event will take place from April 28th to April 30th, 2017 in Pembroke, Virginia. Some anniversary specials are scheduled such as new things during the Mock Election, Mata Writers and podcasters meeting, and a “wight Night with the Manimals!”. Full agenda is coming soon!
- Nebula Awards 2017: will be the 21st Annual Nebula Awards, an event created and presented by members of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America Inc. which will take place in Pittsburgh, PA, from the 18th to the 21st of May. All members will vote for the best SF or fantasy publication in the USA.
- Colossalcon 16: is a Japanese culture convention based on anime and gaming. This is the place to be to dive into a real magic summer destination from June 1st to June 4th 2017 at the Kalahari Resort in Sandusky, Ohio. An event for the whole family where you will attend informal events such as the Friday Night In-Character, game shows, costume contests and anime discussions.
We are proud to have SF and Anime conventions as clients: as the original version of Grenadine Event Planner was originally built for SF conventions. For the past few years we have been used for the annual World SF Convention (Worldcon) and also for this years convention in Helsinki this summer: Worldcon 75.